House swapping

If your home no longer meets your needs, you may want to consider a house swap

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is a house swap between council and housing association tenants. Since the introduction of the ‘bedroom tax’, some tenants are looking to downsize to a smaller property. A mutual exchange can also benefit households wanting to move to a larger property.

To be eligible for an exchange, all tenants involved must have an assured or secure tenancy. Tenants in temporary accommodation on a licence agreement or in supported accommodation on a shorthold are not able to exchange.

The House Exchange website brings together people who want to swap their homes. Using the site is easy and free. Simply visit and complete your details online.

Once you’ve registered and your details have been approved, your property will appear in our database.

You’ll be able to search for:


  • a specific property
  • people who want your property
  • a match both ways or a three-way search

You’ll also be able to share your property advert on House Exchange’s Facebook and Twitter pages.

Take a quick look at our featured properties this month

I want to exchange. How do I start?

Contact us for more information or drop in to your nearest Broadland Housing Office to discuss your options.