An interview gives you the chance to promote yourself to a potential employer, and highlight how well you fit the role.
Interviews can be done face to face (in person or digitally) or on the phone.
Get expert advice on succeeding in an interview from the National Careers Service.
How to prepare for an interview
- Research the company. Check their aims and values
- Read the job description to understand the skills the employer is looking for
- Prepare some examples that show you have the skills, personal qualities and experience for the role
- Plan something comfortable and suitable to wear
- Check your route. Arrive at least 10 minutes before your interview
- Make sure your phone is off
During the interview
- Smile and greet the interviewer confidently
- Be polite and use the right language and tone for a formal situation
- Listen carefully to the questions and think about your answer
- If you do not understand a question, ask the interviewer to repeat it
- Tell the truth. Do not exaggerate or come across as over-confident
- Ask a couple of questions about the job
- At the end of the interview thank the employer for their time