What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas that can cause long-term health problems, and even death.
Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?
Unsafe gas appliances and flues can produce carbon monoxide. The main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (see picture) are very similar to symptoms of flu, food poisoning or a virus. That’s why you should also note if:
- your symptoms only occur when you are at home, and seem to disappear when you leave home
- other people or pets in your household are experiencing similar symptoms, at a similar time.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
- Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and
- Leave the house
- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital
- Call us 0303 303 0003 ASAP.
Warning signs of a carbon monoxide leak
- Lazy yellow or orange flames on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue
- Dark staining on/around appliances
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
As your landlord, each year we send you an appointment for
a safety check of any gas appliances.
- Make sure you’re at home to let our engineer in!
- If you miss your appointment, call us on 0303 303 0003 ASAP
- Regularly check the ‘test’ button on your CO alarm. If you find a fault, please report it to Customer Services ASAP.