Get into everyday energy-saving habits! You will notice the difference on your fuel bills. It’s good for the environment too!
- Draw curtains at dusk – this acts as a barrier and prevents heat loss
- Open curtains during the day to take advantage of sunlight in the winter to keep your house warm
- Shut windows – if the heating is on and the windows are open, you are wasting energy and money
- Draught-proof around your front door and letter box to stop cold air entering
- Wash your clothes at 30-40°C – higher temperatures cost more
- Do not dry clothes directly on radiators – this lowers the room temperature and the boiler has to work harder
- Do not put furniture in front of radiators – this stops the warm air flow around the room
- Adjust your boiler settings – set the heating to come on 20 minutes before you get out of bed to warm the house.
Find more energy saving tips at the Energy Saving Trust and Simple Energy Advice.