As your landlord, we have a legal obligation to visit your home every 5 years to test your wiring and electrics.
We will repair anything dangerous and carry out any necessary improvements, such as re-wiring. This is to reduce the risk of an electrical fire. (See our leaflet above or visit Electrical Safety First for home safety tips.)
Your electrical safety test
Your electrical safety test will take 4-5hrs, depending on the size of your home. The appointment will include time to make any necessary electrical repairs during the visit.
- Where possible, we will combine your electrical check with your gas servicing or any repair appointment scheduled for your home.
- Your electricity (power supply) will be turned off for some time during your appointment.
- You do not need to move anything. We can move furniture/items if necessary.
- We will need access to your consumer unit (or the fuse board, as it used to be known).
- If there is a sticker on your consumer unit from the last check and this is out of date, please contact us ASAP or call 0303 303 0003.
- Facit, our electrical contractors, are carrying out some of the testing on our behalf, and you may receive a letter from them. When Facit employees visit your home, they will carry the necessary ID.
Access to your home
IMPORTANT: The Government requires us to carry out these electrical safety checks and therefore we need to be able to access your home.
We will send you the date and time for your electrical test, which you can change if it is not suitable.
If you miss 3 appointments, we can get a legal injunction for access to your home. You may also be charged for these missed appointments.
Report an electrical safety issue